Friday, July 31, 2020

Zilch #155 The Monkees Present Side 1 Discussion


We dive into The Monkees Present Side 1 Discussion Roundtable , it is discussed by David Ghosty Wills, Melinda Gildart, Jeff Gehringer & hosted by Jeff Hulit. See if you agree with their takes. Tommy Bee drops his thoughts as well. The Monkees Present (also known as The Monkees Present Micky, David, Michael or simply Present) is the Monkees' eighth album. It is the second Monkees album released after the departure of Peter Tork and the last to feature Michael Nesmith until 1996's Justus. Released 10/1/1969
Order your Peter Tork buttons and photos to benefit Sherri Hansen via PayPal to zilchorders@gmail.com. $10 per button, $20 per photo, or $25 for both. International orders, add $5.
Originally aired 7/31/20
We were born to love one another.
Support Zilch, get a cool shirt!
www.redbubble.com/people/designsbyken/works/12348740-zilch-podcast?c=314383-monkees-inspired-art
Join our Facebook page
Find us on Twitter @Zilchcast

Download (right click, save as)

10 comments:

  1. I am listening to the round table discussion on this and I am really disappointed in your review. I think this is a good album and very underrated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it the album were laid out differently , it would have helped, and swap "Ladies Aid society" out for
      "Someday Man"...boom a winner...which will be discussed a bit in part 2

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I am frustrated with everyone's dismissal of this album. It's sad. They just want 12 clones of "...Clarksville" or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love about 65% of it, what is your rating?

      Delete
    2. I love about 65% of it, what is your rating?

      Delete
  3. I always enjoyed the album, as long as I had the perspective of treating it like a collection of solo efforts. My one major complaint: I paid a rather high amount for an original Colgems LP in the early 80's that had the shrink wrap and looked like it was only played once. A great score, sure, but I couldn't believe how awful the sound quality was. The songs sounded like demos; they had more hiss in them than most K-Tel albums and a rattlesnake pit combined. It was amazing to find out how much you couldn't hear at the end of certain tracks such as "Bye Bye Baby Bye Bye." The Rhino reissues in the 90's were a godsend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was just me. I also have an original pressing on Colgems and it doesn’t sound that good at all. The CD reissue I got in 1994 was much better

      Delete
    2. Agreed...glad for the reissues

      Delete
  4. I mean, it's no Sgt Peppers, but it's got a bunch of great tunes that y'all underrate considerably, IMHO. And LTTB is a top 10 Monkees tune.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't agree with about 90 percent of the opinions here, and I can get pretty critical about the Monkees.

    I LIKE the fact that they put together an album where the songs don't blend. So did the later Beatles and NRBQ -- among others.

    I also enjoy the experimental edge this albums has. So Micky is weird? Great! Bring it on. I like his eccentricities. I'd take that over boring commercial pandering (i.e. "Tear Drop City").

    Finally, I think there is depth in these songs that people are missing. Example: "Little Girl," is a sad song set to a jaunty beat, and its jumpy tone mirrors the anxiety people feel when they're in the situation described in the lyric. I also love the melody and guitar hook -- the latter of which ties it to "Valleri."

    I will agree that "Looking For The Good Times" sounds like its phoned in from a different galaxy and that there were better songs in the can.

    Still, I enjoy the album...and we haven't even gotten to the great "French Song" yet!!

    ReplyDelete